September 10, 2014

Porridge New Man

One thing I would say is pretty essential if you are going to be doing this vegan packed lunch thingy? A good (i.e. one that actually works) insulated food flask. That means one with a wide mouth, not that type with slits you pour thin liquid out of. 

I, if any body is interested, use a Thermos Foogo. It's the right size, it keeps food hot, and it doesn't leak (though if it did leak the laws of physics suggest that it wouldn't keep food hot.) It cost me just under £20. There were cheaper ones out there (I saw some for about £5) however, this one had received constant good reviews, and I could buy it in a store. (I got mine in Boots, though it was in the Baby section.)

Of the many things that go in Foogo, the two most common are soup and porridge. The good thing about porridge is I can use the same bowl to make the oats/milk mixture once, then use different add in's  to mix it up enough so that I can have it for breakfast and lunch and not get bored. 

Saying that, I really like porridge. You might get bored of it. 

So, even if you don't love porridge enough to have it twice a day, it's still a good option for lunch. It fills you up till tea time. It's warming on a cold miserable day (and that's most days round here). It's very customisable- there are so many possible combinations for add ins. It doesn't stain like tomato soup. It doesn't spill as easy as tomato soup. It doesn't have an overpowering smell for those who like to be discrete with their lunch choices. As long as you have oats (cause you can technically make porridge with water) than it doesn't matter what else you have in the kitchen- you are all set to go. It doesn't take up any precious freezer room. It is a one pot meal. It's cheap. It's easy to eat out a food jar. 

The combination that I have most often in Foogo is the New Man combination. 


1. Chop up a load of dried apricots. When I say a load, I mean about 3-4, depending on size. I chop them up fairly small, but not minuscule. 


2. Cook the dried apricots in along with the porridge, to whichever recipe you like best. If you don't have a favorite recipe, the instant stuff is fine. You do need to make sure that you add about 2 tablespoons more liquid than you would normally though, as it will thicken up by lunch. 


3. As you are cooking the porridge, cut up a peach or a nectarine. Not as small as you cut the dried apricots, but still small enough to fit on the spoon. 


4. When the porridge is cooked, transfer it into your flask, then add a spoon of peanut butter (unless you are taking this to a nut free environment). Don't try and stir it in, leave it in a blob. 


5. To finish, layer the peach/nectarine on top. By lunch time, the heat and steam from the porridge should have made the peanut butter go all melty, and just started to "cook" the peach/nectarine so it goes softer and juicer and a more vibrant color. Ready to enjoy. (P.S. enjoy layered, not mixed in. Like a porridge parfait). 





3 comments:

  1. Mmm... I love porridge! And even though I work from home, I'm now tempted to make porridge in the morning to stick in a thermos and enjoy at lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might have done that so I could write most of the post in the summer holidays. Ssh. Go ahead. It makes for the quickest lunch ever!

    ReplyDelete