September 28, 2014

Homesickness Crumble

A good thing to pack into a lunchbox (especially of someone not so sure of their new surroundings) is  something that reminds them of home. This is going to be subjective... spend a moment thinking about what reminds you off home... Then think about what reminds them of home...

For me? Well... the first thing that comes to mind is sweet and sour and rice made the way Dad does it... But that's not quite lunch box friendly....

So... lets think again. 

Crumble. More specifically... crumble for breakfast. Even more specifically... leftover crumble for breakfast. It really reminds me of home. Or... leftover leftover crumble sneaked straight from ovenproof dish with a spoon when no ones around...

Okay... enough rambling... The packable thing that reminds me of home? Cold crumble. 

This is also sort of something for my friends who just went of to uni... something that- even if it isn't exactly what reminds them of home- at least I hope it reminds them of home a little bit... Bearing mind that they are all students now; I tried to keep the cost down... and it serves 1 not a family of 8. 

I had that in mind when I was deciding what fruit to use... so I went with a tinned peach crumble. 

I am at a loss as to what to suggest to cook it in. Just hunt around your kitchen until you find something. I used a silicone ramekin. So... go search and knock yourself out. 

Basically... the moral of this post.... put something that reminds you of home in your box. It makes you smile. 

(P.S. sorry, this isn't actually in a box... but I was restricted to when I could make my crumble as to when the oven was on... and it wasn't in harmony with lunchbox packing)

Homesickness Curing Peach Crumble

Ingrediants

  • about 5/6 tinned peach slices
  • 3 T flour
  • 1 T margerine
  • 1 T rolled (porridge) oats
  • 1 t sugar

Method


  • Turn on the oven to about 200C. If you're cooking something else at the same time (I was) just work it around that. If your container needs greasing, then grease it (mine didn't)
  • In a small bowl, measure out the flour and rub in the margarine ('tickle' the two ingredients together until they start looking like yellow breadcrumbs)

  • Add the oats and sugar and mix together

  • Cut the peach into bitesized pieces and put it into the baking container. Tip the crumble mixture out on top

  • Bake the crumble for 30-40 minutes - keep checking until its ready
  • Store in the fridge after cooling until ready to eat (or eat straight away)






No comments:

Post a Comment