December 23, 2014

Gingerbread Oatmeal


Cake and me don't mix. I don't like it. I used to like it- (I mean- who doesn't like cake?) (Except me). But that is no longer. I just don't like cake. It's a sad a sorry truth. 

That doesn't mean that I don't like gingerbread. But because I don't like cake- gingerbread cake is out. Gingerbread biscuits just don't have the correct richness. Gingerbread latte? Would be great- except that me and coffee aren't that great buds either at the moment. Sad, I know. I've tried gingerbread hot chocolate (apparently Dad gets some weird looks asking for Gingerbread soy hot chocolate in a mug not a glass please)- but the chocolate means it's not as gingerbready as I want it to be.
So lets think outside the box here people. 

Are you thinking? 

Cause you don't have to. I've already done the thinking for you. 

Gingerbread oatmeal. Rich gingerbread flavors, no cake. 

Solves every body's problems. Unless you are my friend who doesn't like oatmeal. Then it just creates more problems.

Gingerbread Oatmeal

Serves 1

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup oats. (Mine were labelled as porridge oats)
  • 1 cup liquid. I used a whole cup of almond milk. You can use any combination of any type of milk and water you like.
  • 1/2 t. ground ginger
  • Scant 1/4 t. of mixed spice (pumpkin pie spice/apple pie spice)
  • 3 dried dates. (or three medjool dates if you have any to spare)
  • Treacle (molasses). I didn't measure this. Just add as much as you like. But it's sticky and a nightmare to get of deep measuring spoons, so just go for it. You know your own tastes. You want a rich taste though, so don't scimp on it too much. It's in there for the taste as well as the sweet.
  • 1/4 cup pecan nuts

Method

  • Measure out the oats and liquid into a small pan (unless your multiplying this recipe up to serve more people- which this recipe will easily do) - the smallest pan you own should be the right size (unless you've got one of those 3 inch decorative pans) (also- if I'm not taking pictures and making it look nice- I'd use the 1/2 cup for the oats, then use it twice for the liquid)

  • Add the spices 

  • Chop up the dates into small dice, then add to the pan

  • Make a mess with the treacle and then add it to the pan. Okay- the making a mess with it is optional.

  • Put the pan onto a lowish heat and cook, stirring regularly as you do so. Just cook it until it looks to be very slightly less than the consistency that you want it to be. Cause it will thicken as it stands and becomes an eatable temperature (unless you can eat boiling hot oatmeal). (And if you're going to spend ages trying to photograph it- make sure it's quite a bit runnier than you want it). 

  • While it's cooking (though don't leave it too long or it will stick) cut up all but a few of the pecan nuts. 

  • At some point- you may want to tidy up this-

  • Mix the chopped pecan nuts into the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl, and garnish with the remaining whole (half) pecan nuts. And then it will look and taste fabulous! (Hopefully)







No comments:

Post a Comment