December 30, 2014

Christmas Chow Mein

They taste better than they look in this photo
Yes, I was planning to publish (and to be honest- just write) this post before Christmas. 

But you no what- it's okay. You know why? I'll tell you.

I decided to make these noodles cause I was envious of all those noodles/noodle soup recipes that you see for using up turkey leftovers. Wasn't envious of the bits of turkey floating in them at all- but the rest of the dish? NOODLES!!! (Yeah- I'm going though a noodle phase again/still). 

So I decided to make my own definitely veggie noodle dish. Christmas Chow Mein anyone? 

And you know why I deem it to be still acceptable to publish (and yeah, write) this? Cause I know people who are still eating turkey leftovers. Like, almost a week after the event! So, if they're still eating turkey- I can post me veggie Christmas noodle recipe- and this one doesn't use up leftovers from ages ago. 

I tried to stick with the Christmassy theme. I added an easy peeler/satsuma/clementine/mandarin orange cause it's Christmassy, and juicy, and a nice change of texture, and they are so intense when they're warmed up slightly! 

And the turkey noodle dishes all seem to include a sliced red chili. Now, I don't want that much heat in my noodles (baby when it comes to heat over here), and to be honest, the thought of chopping up a fresh chili TERRIFIES me. (which I think is perfectly acceptable- they're scary). So I added a chopped mini red sweet/bell pepper instead. One from this bag. See- having only three red peppers in that bag was a massive major problem! 

I went with ginger (cause I love ginger and it's a warming flavor) and you can go on all you like, but I get my ginger from a squeezy tube. Or a jar, depending which shop we're in at the time. On that note, Sainsbury's does lemongrass in a squeezy tube now. So expect some lemongrass recipes coming up. Lemongrass miso soup anyone? And I know that the freshly grated stuff is better, but a) I'm the only one who uses it and so it usually ends up shrivelled up and blugh looking, and b) it's just easier and c) I can't be bothered washing up the greater if I don't have to. 

One day, people, I will graduate to grating my own ginger. Till that day, hello squeezy toothpaste like tube!

And the five spice paste. I would have, to be honest, used five spice 'powder', but we had five spice paste and not 'powder'. Use whatever you have- but you may need to adjust the quantities accordingly. But don't leave it out completely, it adds a level of flavor, and it's warming and what you need at Christmas. 

So while people are still (STILL) eating Christmas leftovers, if you have no leftovers to eat, make Christmas Chow Mein. Or just eat it any time and think of another name for it. I place the power of naming it in your hands!

Christmas Chow Mein

Serves 1

Ingredients

  • 1, sliced, spring onion. Include a bit of the green but not all of it. (unless you really want to)
  • 1 handful (about 7) mange tout/snow peas/sugar snaps. Trimmed if they need trimming.
  • 1 mini red (sweet) pepper. De seeded and sliced to make mini pepper rings
  • 1 small orange citrus fruit (of choice), peeled and as much of the white stuff removed as possible. 
  • 1 serving of cooked noodles. Whichever noodles are your favorite or whichever noodles you have closest to hand. I used straight to wok fine wheat noodles. 
  • 1/2 T grated ginger. Or sqeezy minced ginger
  • Scant 1 T soya sauce. Enough to make the noodles go a darker color but not to much that it's overly salty
  • 1/2 t five spice paste/'powder', or to taste
  • Tiny bit of oil, if needed (mine didn't)

Method

  • Wash and prepare the vegetables, keeping them separate. 

  • Add the noodles and flavourings to the pan, along with the spring onion. Add a bit of oil if necessary. 


  • Cook the noodles until the flavourings are cooked - about 3 minutes. Stir to coat the noodles. 
  • Add the rest of the vegetables, and stir to coat. Keep cooking till everything is heated through, but there is no need to 'cook' the vegetables, about one minute.




No comments:

Post a Comment