March 15, 2015

Andromeda Binary: Chocolate Raisin

 

When I tell people that I am a vegetarian- it's guaranteed that in the next 60 seconds will come the question "do you miss meat?". 

The answer: no. 

(duh)

I very similar and yet very different variation of the question is something I have found myself asking fellow vegetarians often. "What do you miss most". There is no point asking "do you miss meat"- cause no one ever just says "yes". Similarly, when I ask "what do you miss most," no one ever says "meat." Despite it apparently being an apparently common one- I've never know anyone to say that the thing they miss most is McDonald's. But apparently that's what everyone says. I have known a few (but by no means the majority) of people say that they miss "bacon butties," (yes spell check, butties is a real word north of the Midlands), and one person who said "chicken". Both times specific items. But both these are rare occasions. The most common answer? "Jelly" and "sweets" (often a specific type). "Nutella" used to be up there- but it's veggie now. Chicken gravy has been one (although they actually meant from a packet- not even 'real' stuff.)  

Occasionally I've asked "do you actually miss meat?". No one has ever said yes. 


Do I miss meat? No. Seriously- no. I never think "oh I really want a...". The closest I've ever got? "I really want a Quorn BLT." Really I just wanted soft fluffily pre sliced bread- big slices of pretty tasteless tomatoes, and lettuce with mayo. But who eats a LT sandwich? But I never thought that I wanted a BLT, I just wanted the stuff that went with the B. Or a sandwich which wasn't cheese spread or hummus. The type of sandwich that you get ready made in a shop. 

Which is what I miss the most. I miss the convenience. I miss the ability to go into a shop and pick up a sandwich. On Friday I went into a shop to get lunch- and came out with a bread roll and a packet of chocolate raisons. I miss not having to check the ingredients of everything. I miss the things which aren't veggie but everyone assumes they actually are- M&M's, some chocolate, the chocolate raisons that they sell at Crewe railway station (don't ask), until they recently became veggie I missed Party Rings and Nutella. (Because I actually felt that I was missing out something there). 

I miss other stuff too. I miss breaking up a block of jelly to make jelly (if that makes sense). Hence I will always volunteer to break up chocolate for melting. I feel cheated at the fact that my Percy Pig sweets have a green ear and not a pink one (not that it really matters- but...) I miss being able to get food colouring on my way home from the little supermarket. (It's okay- I now have a full set that I got last year for Christmas). 

There is one thing that nobody ever asks me though. 

When I tell people that I don't eat a lot of milky or eggy stuff because it makes me feel icky and sick- no one ever asks me "do you miss xyz". 


Not once have I ever been asked do I miss omelettes. Do I miss chocolate mousse. Do I miss yogurts. Do I miss drinking milk. Do I miss boiled eggs. 

I am NOT a vegan. I still consume milk and eggs. But I don't eat as much as most other people. I try and stop before I feel really rubbish. I know my limits and I try to stick to them. 

And there are some things that I miss. But no one has ever bothered to ask me. 

I miss (amongst other things):
  • Plain strawberry yogurt (Alpro do strawberry and rhubarb or strawberry and banana- but not plain strawberry)
  • Eating a whole Boost bar. 
  • Laughing Cow breadstick dippers (although I have just noticed that these aren't even suitable for vegetarians)
  • Philadelphia used to do these snack pack things.... 
  • Grated cheese sandwiches with absolutely loads of cheese. 
  • Egg mayo sandwiches
  • Ambrosia (as in rice pudding and custard... and pink custard.... and banana custard.... and... I gotta get some custard powder) 
  • Ice cream (Magnum style things) (Neapolitan) (Mint Choc Chip) (Ice Cream in a cone from a van) 
  • Muller Light vanilla flavor (okay.... someone please explain why I haven't just tried Alpro vanilla- cause now I think about it I REALLY miss vanilla yogurt (and yes- it was always Muller Light) )
  • Muller Corners. Cherry. Banana Cornflake. 
I could eat any one of those things (except for breadstick dippers - who knew they weren't veggie- and some ice creams) if I wanted. (Don't say I could eat meat if I wanted. I couldn't. And don't bother saying that I could because.... If you don't get it I'm sorry but you just don't get it.) But I don't want to. 


What I'm trying to say here is that NO ONE EVER ASKS ME IF I MISS ALL THE THINGS THAT I CHOOSE NOT TO EAT BECAUSE THEY ARE TOO MILKY/EGGY FOR ME. 

Not once. 

But that's strange- because I don't miss meat- I do miss the above listed items. And I guess I miss them more because there is nothing actually stopping me eating them. It's hard for me to miss something that is made with dead animal- because it's totally against everything that I stand for. It's easier for me to miss these I guess because they're not. I just don't want to eat them. 

I guess most of this isn't actually making any sense. Sorry. 

Basically- the message that you need to take from all this is that I miss Muller Corners

So I decided to make my own. Some point last year. Because I actually seemed to have an amazing array of creative ideas last year. (Okay- so deciding to put a topping on soy yogurt isn't exactly creative- but I hadn't done it in the however many years before. And I definitely hadn't thought of making a banana cornflake yogurt). (Banana cornflake a current favorite and recipe coming soon- but we've ran out of cornflakes). 

I mean- I didn't exactly decided to make corner yogurts. I just made a banana yogurt and topped it with chocolate cornflakes. But then I got one of these. My reasoning to get one of these was to make my own breadstick dippers. But then yesterday when I got it I thought- corner yogurts!!!! (I also thought- hey- I could make my own cheese spread using.... (top secret recipe coming soon- I tried it today and I haven't quite mastered it yet) so that I don't have to try and water down a really light cheese triangle). 

There is just one problem. The separate compartment isn't in the corner. It's at the end.

So I can't call them corners. 

:( Sad face. 

Last year- in one of my creative thinking moments- I though it would be fun to make something and 'rebrand' it in my own special brand for the blog- cause wouldn't that be fun? (No- really. It has been lots of fun). You know- package it as if it's come from a supermarket or something and make it look more interesting. 

And hey- if I need to think of another name for my corner yogurts that aren't corner yogurts- what better opportunity will there be? 

So.... 

Enter.....



Yeah- I know that what else was I supposed to call a yogurt on a blog called Ana's Rocket Ship other than Milky Way? But it was already used up. (Stupid Galaxy- cause you took that name up too). And yes- I know that it doesn't matter for my made up yogurt brand- but I felt stupid calling it Milky Way Yogurt when Milky Way is a chocolate/candy bar (incidently- did you know that they are different in the UK to the US?) and so I went with then nearest thing after that. And in space terms that is the Andromeda galaxy. So- I decided to call my silly made up brand Andromeda. 

Cause this is my blog and I can do what I want. I would say that no one reads it but 76 people read it on Tuesday. Who are you people and how do you know when I post a new post? 

The Binary bit (i.e. the product name as opposed to the brand name- if that makes sense) is named after a binary star. Which is actually a load of rubbish in a sentence because by very definition for it to be a binary star there needs to be two of them. So it is named after a binary star system which is two stars orbiting around each other. So... two parts to make up a whole.... get it? 

So.... Andromeda Binary- the new best type of yogurt!!!! 

(As an aside- this has nothing to do with binary code- despite the fact that I know how to work it out now.) (But as I can 'do it' I thought that I'd add in a bit just for fun). (Yes- my parents did think I was a bit weird for subjecting my yogurt to being packaged). 


And because we had ran out of cornflakes, the first 'flavor' I've gone with is:

If you want an alternative to Muller Corners due to the ingredients in them than the one I've pictured here is vegan and gluten free. If you wanted a nut free one than you could use nut free chocolate raisins and yogurt. If you wanted a very homemade one so you know EXACTLY what went into it then you could use homemade yogurt and chocolate raisins. You could use organic yogurt and fair-trade chocolate raisins. You could customize it how you like, for example by using dark chocolate raisins instead of milk by buying really juice raisins and covering them in chocolate yourself. 


I used Alpro's new Plain with Almond yogurt. It's a soya yogurt with almond. I am still waiting desperately for someone to release a non soya based yogurt- but until then- this is a nice variation on the 'plain' yogurt. When my Mom asked me what it was like- a said 'cyanid like'. By this I meant that it tasted like almond flavouring or marzipan as opposed to the very subtle flavor of real almonds or almond milk. I've never actually tried cyanide. 

Normally I would just use normal chocolate raisins - they are cheep and you can get them in most supermarkets- but for the purpose of today I used some that I bought in Holland and Barrett. 



If you want to save money? Well- my vegan version cost about 20p more than the original (which isn't brilliant- but it's not that bad as an occasional treat either- and most of the cost (as in 75% of it) came from the chocolate raisins- so if you made them yourself you could probably save a bit of money that way) but if you're doing it purely to save money? Than you can save about 50p per yogurt by making them yourself (I just worked each portion to be 18p from Sainsburys). 

Yeah- okay. And after all that- this is hardly a recipe. 

Enjoy!!!!


Andromeda Binary: Chocolate Raisin
Serves 1

  • 1/2 cup plain yogurt
  • 2 Tablespoons chocolate raisins
If you have a separated container put the yogurt in one part and the chocolate raisins in another. If not try putting the yogurt in one container (there's nothing wrong with just dishing it out into bowls) and serving the chocolate raisins on the side to be added at the last minute. 





No comments:

Post a Comment